“Study Computer Science Masters in Canada” Don’t forget to share this read-worthy article with your friends, and follow Tarek Floyd official accounts on social media 😍
Canada is located in the North American continent and consists of 10 provinces and three territories. It is located in the northern part of the continent and extends from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west and extends north into the Arctic Ocean. Canada is the second country in the world in terms of total area. Canada’s border with the United States to the south and northwest is also the longest in the world.
Canada is one of the best countries to study abroad by a lot of international students all over the world. Canada is one of the safest countries for foreign students. While talking about affordability, the country also offers scholarships for international students. Canada hosts more than 250,000 international students and has seen a significant increase in the number of international students in recent years.
According to the QS World Ranking for the year, 26 Canadian universities were among the top 800 universities in the world, three of them were among the top 50 universities in the world, and 10 universities in Canada were ranked among the top 300 universities in the world.
Computer Science ranks as a subject among the top 10 subjects to study in Canada after masters, generally chosen by international students. If you are looking forward to further study in Canada on this subject, here is the complete guide for you.
Why choose Canada to study computer science?
Canada has lower tuition fees and immigration-friendly policies compared to other study abroad countries and attracts international students to pursue an MSc in Computer Science.
Universities in Canada have high academic standards, some of which are in the top ranks of the university ranking list.
There are different types of programs offered by Canadian institutions for Masters in Computer Science in Canada for international students.
Students in Canada are allowed to work 20 hours per week, which helps them gain hands-on experience in the computer science industry.
Increased job opportunities in various profiles in the field of computer science makes pursuing an MSc in computer science in Canada an attractive program.
Best Universities in Canada for Masters in Computer Science:
For international students looking to pursue a master’s degree in a computer science program, Canada is one of the preferred destinations. 22 Canadian universities are listed among the world’s top 600 universities offering prestigious degrees in Computer Science.
This is a list of the best Canadian universities to study computer science, and next to each university ranked in the world according to the QS classification:
- University of Toronto (25)
- University of British Columbia University of British Columbia ( 45)
- McGill University (31)
- University of Alberta (119)
- McMaster University ( 144)
- University of Ottawa (279)
- Simon Fraser University (323)
- Queen’s University (246)
- Concordia University (477)
Many international students choose the universities mentioned above which indicates that universities not only make it to the list of the best universities in Canada for a master’s degree in computer science but also are popular among international students.
There are many majors in a master’s degree in computer science offered in Canada:
- Artificial intelligence
- data science
- Data Analytics
- Human-computer interaction
- cloud computing
- Software Engineering
- machine learning programming
Types of MSc Computer Science:
There are 3 types of Masters in Computer Science offered by Canadian universities. You can choose according to your professional interests:
MACS MSc in Applied Computer Science: A 16-month research course that requires the submission of a thesis at the end of the program.
M.Eng MSc in Computer Science and Engineering: 16-month professional postgraduate program.
MSc in Computer Science: It is a 24 month/2 year course and requires independent research work from the student.
Admission to MSc in Computer Science in Canada:
University admissions for international students generally take place in 3 intakes in Canada i.e. fall, winter and summer. The duration of a full-time Canadian Masters course in Computer Science ranges from 16 months to 2 years.
How to Apply for an MSc in CS Canada:
Applicants for the MS Computer Science program can apply through the official website of the chosen university in Canada.
Requirements for obtaining a master’s degree in computer science in Canada:
The eligibility criteria for Canadian universities in computer science is not very strict. However, application requirements vary from university to university. To be eligible to pursue a master’s degree in computer science in Canada, international applicants must meet the following criteria:
- International students must have 16 years of education.
- They must prove their educational eligibility with proof of transcripts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or undergraduate students from other computer science related disciplines are also eligible to apply.
- The student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher on a 4.0-point scale or a CGPA of 7-8 on a 10-point scale essential. In other words, the percentage should be around 80-85%.
- Students must also have taken the GRE.
- This degree must not be older than two years.
- Admission eligibility also varies depending on the institution and your strong programming skills
The documents required while applying to colleges in Canada for a master’s degree in computer science are listed below:
- Lecturer from high school and college
- Papers and grades
- A statement of purpose (SOP) that talks about your career goals, areas of research interest and skills.
- 2 or 3 letters of recommendation (information on how to make a letter of recommendation)
- GRE scores must be officially submitted to the university.
- The average acceptable score for admission is 260 .
- English language proficiency certificate such as IELTS (from here) or TOEFL (from here).
Cost of MSc in Computer Science in Canada:
The cost of studying MSc Computer Science in Canada ranges between $50,000 and $62,000. For engineering and master’s degree students, the cost of studying in Canada is approximately $47,780. Students who want to study MACS will have to pay about 61,133 USD because it is a professional course
Scholarships to study Masters in Computer Science in Canada:
Various university-specific scholarships and externally-funded scholarships are offered to international computer science graduates. Here are the popular university scholarships in Canada for international students:
- University of Calgary
- University of Waterloo
- University of Manitoba
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Fraser Valley
- Writing and preparing academic topics
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- letter of intent
- Research proposals
- Personal Statement
- Recommendation letter
in addition to full application for scholarships and university admissions).
You can share your questions with us in the comment section below or on the Facebook group.
Full list of Tarek Floyd Academic Services from here